This week's memory verse:

Eph 4:32

Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Don't use Dawn with Bleach!

*sigh* so over the last 2 weeks, I've been dealing with this. Over the 4th of July weekend we had company and I did quite a few dishes (our dishwasher is out of commission so I did them by hand). No big deal, used the same detergent I usually get.

Well, a couple days later on my fingertips I start to get blister like things, and then they'd peel...........everyday it got worse and worse, until over the weekend the blisters had covered nearly the entire palm side of my hands and BURN BURN BURN. I finally gave up and went to the Dr on Monday, to find out that I've got a chemical burn..........from the Dawn with Bleach (it's the only chemical thing I've been around!!!). It's really horrible. I thought about taking some pictures, we'll see. It really looks (and feels) disgusting. I've been so embarassed to get my change back from stores and such, I just know they're looking at my hands and then looking for their hand sanitizer!

Anyway, today the blisters (I call them that, but they're really pockets where the skin has pulled up) that covered 1/3 or more of my palm started coming open, so I went ahead and peeled the dead skin off (eventually I will have all new skin on my hands, as the skin was so damaged on the top few layers). The skin underneath is SO tender, and burns burns burns. Ugh. And to think, they have "gentle on hands" on their label -- NOT!

Needless to say I haven't been doing the dishes (and we got new detergent anyway). Doing much of anything where it pulls on my skin has pretty well been impossible, or I at least have to wear thick kitchen gloves to protect my hands - vacuuming, bathing, cooking..........it all hurts. I was prescribed some steroidal lotion/cream to help with the burning and swelling. Otherwise not much they can do, as the damaged skin needs to come off.

So lesson learned, don't use it!!!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh you poor thing! I hope that your hands heal quickly. (hugs) and thanks for the warning.

BTW, I really like your favorite song list-- you have a ton of GREAT songs listed.

Anonymous said...

Picked up a bottle of dawn today. Started reading it because it's regular strength, and they only have little bottles of ultra concentrate. So right on the back it says don't use with bleach. I had once and had noticed a little chemical burn (college major, so I recognize...). Anywho, was searching the web to figure out a detergent that sanitizes after figuring out what chemistry was happening, although I'm completely willing to install a triple sink.

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Created by OnePlusYou - Free Dating Sites

Some of my favorite songs..........